One of our top priorities at Blankenship Family Dentistry is to save a patient’s tooth whenever possible. Dr. Blankenship and Dr. Jordan are skilled in many restorative options to repair and strengthen your teeth. Sometimes, however, a tooth is so badly damaged or diseased that tooth removal in Stone Mountain is necessary to preserve the health of your other teeth and gums. Below are some advantages of removing a tooth in this condition:Dr Jeffrey Blankenship on tooth removals and extractions Read Transcript
Dr. B: A couple of different reasons that you would take a tooth out … the more common one is a tooth where the root's actually broken, or the tooth is broken in half and it can't be restored. Those are the cases where if it's a single tooth and there's nothing else wrong with the dentition or the people's teeth, you can take that tooth out and either restore it with a bridge or an implant. One of the more common things that people run into in the teenage group is when orthodontics is being done, sometimes there are more teeth that are there than there is space available for them, and it requires removing some teeth so that you can reshuffle them. That's another time that we would remove the tooth. A third time that we remove teeth deals more with gum disease issues. Bone loss is still a serious problem in this country, it's one of the things that people don't talk about because generally it doesn't hurt. But if you lose too much bone around the roots of the teeth, and they're not functional, it's better to remove them and replace them with something that's more hygienic, for lack of a better word. Also, there's some kind of fringe areas where, say, if you're immune compromised, say from chemotherapy or things like that, there may be reasons to take teeth out. But the number of extractions that are done today compared to 50 years ago is vastly smaller.
- Stop toothache pain so you can relax again
- Improve your overall oral health
- Protect your body against possible disease from an infected tooth
- Give your smile a healthier, more attractive look
Plus, we offer oral sedation with a small pill if you need help relaxing during your procedure. Call us today at 770-766-8995 to schedule your appointment.
Replace Your Missing Tooth For a Fully Functional Smile
Once your tooth is removed, it is best to get a new replacement tooth to avoid jawbone deterioration and shifting in your other teeth. We offer several ways to restore your tooth that will prevent these problems, make chewing easier, and improve the look of your smile:
- Dental Implant Restoration – We work closely with an oral surgeon who will place a titanium tooth implant in your jaw. After healing, we can secure a porcelain crown to it. If you need more than one tooth replaced, multiple implants give you options for implant bridges and implant dentures as well.
- Fixed Bridge – This appliance fills in missing teeth and attaches on either end to your existing teeth.
- Dentures – Conventional full dentures will replace a complete set of teeth on your upper jaw, lower jaw, or both. If you have some healthy teeth remaining, partial dentures will fill in your smile.
Get out of pain and protect your health! Call us today for gentle, easy tooth removal in Stone Mountain: 770-766-8995.