Blankenship Family Dentistry recommends routine checkups twice a year to help prevent tooth decay and disease. Sometimes, however, cavities can sneak up on us. Dr. Blankenship and Dr. Jordan offer tooth filling options in Stone Mountain to restore your teeth and keep your smile healthy and bright. Tooth fillings will:Dr. Jeffrey Blankenship on tooth fillings Read Transcript
Dr. B: Fillings are used to restore missing parts of teeth from cavities, from accidents, from wear and tear, or for changing the cosmetics. They're multifunctional. My goal in starting the whole process of doing a filling is to get people comfortable without hurting them. And I think if you can get past that hurdle, the fillings are the easy part of the whole thing. Now, fillings actually come in two varieties. You can get the old-fashioned silver fillings. I haven't done many of those in the last 20 years. Almost everything I do now are composite tooth-colored fillings or the cosmetic ones. You can blend them, you can shape them. They look just like your real teeth. And the materials are getting better and better and better. So their wearability lasts even longer. So, why should somebody see me for a filling? Well, first of all because I pay attention to the details. And second of all, I think you'll like the result that you get from a cosmetic and a functional standpoint.
- Stop the effects of decay and prevent further problems
- Improve the look of your smile
- Make biting and chewing more comfortable
Call us at 770-766-8995 today if you’d like more information about dental fillings and your oral health. If you’re nervous about treatment, sedation and longer appointments are available to help you relax.
Get Natural-Looking Tooth Repair With Composite Fillings
Although we occasionally place metal fillings in our office, almost all of our dental fillings are made from tooth-colored composite resin these days. There are several good reasons why:
- Composite fillings are designed to blend in beautifully without drawing attention to a silver spot in your mouth. Their color can be customized to closely match your other teeth, so most of the time they are hardly noticeable.
- Unlike silver fillings, composite fillings bond directly with your tooth. That means that less drilling is needed to prepare the tooth for the filling, so more of your natural tooth will be preserved. This results in a stronger tooth than a silver amalgam filling can provide.
- Composite fillings are composed of plastic and tiny glass particles – there’s no metal involved. Some of our patients don’t like the idea of having mercury in their mouths. With beautiful composite fillings, that concern is eliminated.
Stop Bigger Decay With Inlays & Onlays
Sometimes tooth decay requires more repair than a filling, but the tooth doesn’t need a complete crown. That’s where dental inlays and onlays come in:
- Inlays are bonded to the biting surface of your tooth inside the cusps (tips).
- Onlays extend onto the sides of the tooth.
These custom restorations are crafted from sturdy, beautiful porcelain to stop decay and strengthen your tooth. We’ll take impressions of your teeth so that our lab partner can fabricate your new restoration.
If you think you have a cavity and need tooth filling options in Stone Mountain, call us today at 770-766-8995. We’ll be glad to help!